Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oh, domesticity! ~ May 26th



One of my favorite quotes is from the author Laurie Colwin in her novel, The Lone Pilgrim. I remembered it today when reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance. She mentioned Colwin as an author who celebrates domestic delights. That reference sent me to the Web to find this quote, which I used to have displayed on my refrigerator.

"Oh, domesticity! The wonder of dinner plates and cream pitchers. You know your friends by their ornaments. You want everything. If Mrs. A. has her mama's old jelly mold, you want one, too, and everything that goes with it -- the family, the tradition, the years of having jelly molded in it. We domestic sensualists live in a state of longing, no matter how comfortable our own places are."
                                                                                             from The Lone Pilgrim by Laurie Colwin

No comments: