Monday, July 27, 2009

Vanity plates


When I first moved to Maine from NYC, I was struck by how many vanity plates I saw while driving. There seemed to be more cars here with vanity plates than I ever saw while driving the Long Island Expressway. As it turns out, Maine ranks sixth in the nation when it comes to the percentage of motor vehicles with vanity plates, and New York is not even in the top 10.

This spring and early summer, I was driving about 70 miles per day to and from work, and so I began to really notice what people had chosen for their license plates. I'm now keeping a list and have decided to share with you a few of the vanity plates I've seen on the roads here in Maine. I don't have a vanity plate myself. Do you have one? If not, what would yours say? I used to want WORDZ (because I'm a writer), but now I think I'd choose something else. Maybe something about Maine, like the one I saw recently, LUV207. (207 is the state's area code.) Or perhaps something about the ocean, since I'm nuts about the coast. Maybe COASTIN or GO2SEA. Anyway, here is a list of some of the vanity plates I've seen.

AYUP
TRUBLUE
EN ROUTE
DEAD [as in Grateful?]
NRTH STR
SHW BYZ
C SPRAY
DIGGIT
GOIN UP
MYETOY
LTSGO
I NO Y
WAKUP
ENUNCI8
JUNGLIST
LOBSTA
PIGSFLY
BEACHBM
XRAYVZN
WEBAD9
URLUVD
P-COCK
WLF MN
SQWASH
NJOYLFE
WCKDGD
LFEISGD
DEJA VU
SKIR
IBELIVE
GR8GOAL
OWLMOON
BUH BY

1 comment:

Silke Powers said...

My goodness, I am behind on your blog!! This is fun - I notice vanity plates all the time and just the other day we saw a really clever one. Of course I can't remember now... :) Silke