Sunday, March 20, 2011

In search of the super moon ~ March 20th



As you probably know, last night was the first time in 18 years that we experienced what is called a super moon, or perigee moon, which appears bigger and brighter than what we normally see. If you'd like to read more about it, go here.




To witness this spectacular full moon, I decided to head up the Coast to my favorite place, Reid State Park, for an evening visit.


On the way down to the park, I stopped by a swampy area to watch and photograph 3 Canada geese.



I reached the park about 1.25 hours before moonrise so I was able to walk about a bit taking photos while it was still daylight.



There were quite a few people gathered to watch the big, orange orb rise above the sea.



I enjoyed walking the beach and scrambling over the rocks. The sunset skies were lovely.





I eventually decided to take a spot on the rocks just in front of a rocky island. From this spot, I watched the moon begin its ascent into the sky.



After a bit, I dashed over to Mile Beach for a different perspective.



What an experience!

My photos of the moon are not very good. You know, I only work with a point-and-shoot, and sometimes it's just not up to the task at hand. But nevertheless, I'm sharing some photos here. (Please click on each photo for a better view.) You can see many more images online when you search on super moon.



I found out that Reid was staying open late last night through a Maine photographer named Christopher O'Donnell. He'll be posting images soon, and I'm sure they'll be impressive. To see the super moon through Christopher's eyes, visit his website.



This was the first time in my life I was ever in Reid Park after dark. Normally, the park closes at sunset. But they made an exception yesterday so that people like me could enjoy this rare event.

I hope that you were able to catch a glimpse of the super moon! Mother Nature put on a fantastic show to welcome spring. May this be a season of wonderful adventures for all of us.

No comments: